Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Motherhood

My day began with the usual quiet time of prayer in the dark quiet hours of early morning, then snuggling moments with a toddler and 5 year old. Then I raced around to get the 4 younger ones dressed, breakfast, lunches packed, teeth brushed, vitamins taken, stuffing homework into backpacks and finding shoes and jackets. Then I rushed one off to kindergarten and ran errands downtown. Bank, post office, grocery store, etc. I returned home realizing I hadn't eaten breakfast and it was near lunch time. I ran around the kitchen stuffing chips in my mouth as I put away groceries. Midway through cleaning the fridge, and putting away groceries, and cooking part of tonight's supper, my two year old spilled a cup of juice. As I was midway through cleaning the juice, the phone rang. I finished the phone conversation to find my two year old had emptied the book shelf of all the photo albums. It was past noon when I hadn't finished the groceries, cleaning the fridge, eating lunch, cooking supper, doing the dishes, or folding the 7 unfolded loads of laundry. About this time, I began to rethink my opinion of legalizing marijuana! Determined to get something accomplished, I handed my son a rag and showed him how much fun it was to wipe up the juice while we danced and sang "you are my sunshine". Yes, just call me the wiping queen!

Motherhood has given me more joy in my life than words can say. I've been privileged to have been mothering for the last 20+ years. Being pregnant and/or breastfeeding for 18 of those 20 years has been more fulfilling (excuse the pun) than I'd ever dreamed. Always with a babe in arms, or snuggled at my side in bed, it has been a lovely chapter in my life of which I'm so thankful.

In these last 20 years I've changed over 25,000 diapers, wiped dirty bottoms thousands of times, wiped thousands of tears, wiped thousands of runny noses, wiped blood, vomit and spills. Could write a book of funny stories. Have been given thousands of kisses and hugs, a thousand pictures on my fridge, kissed countless boo boos, said tens of thousands of prayers. I've lost thousands of hours of sleep but gained thousands of days of laughter and love. I've learned more from my children than I've taught, and surely have much more to learn.

I've danced with my children, cried with them, learned with them, fought with them, triumphed together over challenges, I've hurt with them and for them, I've sacrificed my time, my own desires, my sleep, my figure, my favorite places and hobbies. I've watched them grow, mature, get married, step out into the unknown spread their wings and fly into new territories. I've watched them fall down, and get back up. I've watched them wrestle with the world, wrestle with their own faith, building their own convictions. I've sensed their passions as they set out to conquer goals.

Motherhood must be more entertaining than any hollywood movie and more rewarding than any university degree. I've reached highs that no drug could ever give!

When I look at all the turns my life could have made. All the paths I might have taken, I think of all I would have missed. My life is rich. Its been good and keeps getting better. The story isn't near over. It must be in the thick of the drama...the suspense...the mystery...the wonder...the awe.... I am blessed! I love my life and the God who gives me the privilege to live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment