Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pasach 2012

Its not that I don't have much to write about, its just that I haven't had the urge to write (or the time). Life has taken on a new season for me working full time. I am doing photography (night shifts) and finding little time to express my thoughts in my blog.
Since our Pasach seder was so much fun I thought I should write about it before it becomes a blurr in my fading memory. We were privileged to host our own small seder this year. I say small because had we invited all that we wanted to, it would have been too huge for our home. So we kept it to a very small 11 total! Nehemia, Liat, Miri, Marjorie, and our family minus our two sons and one daughter in law.

Our 12 yr old had found a grasshopper earlier in the day and we thought it would make a nice centerpiece seeing as we'd be mentioning the locusts plauges. Nehemia had always wanted to eat a grasshopper seeing as they are kosher according to Lev 11. We were happy to assist, though none of us wanted to help him eat it, just cook it! ;) you can view the video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4YvcZwKJY&list=UUkqhS_k151eQ0EVc_S4QwDQ&index=1&feature=plcp

After the excitement of the grasshopper appetizer, we all sat down and began the seder. But wait...a knock at the door...could it be Elijah? But I'd forgotten to set a plate for him. Yes indeed, the stranger at the door just happened to be named Elijah! He was lost and looking for the synagogue! What timing! We pointed him in the right direction and got quite the laugh out of that.

The weekend included some wonderful conversations, bible study, waaaay too much food, including those indulgent things like matzah smores, and lots of l'chaim! (wine)

I returned to work on Sunday evening to find all my tourists were in Jerusalem and all the Jerusalemites had flocked to the lake (Sea of Galilee). I have spent the last few nights quite amuzed at all their spring break partying. In particular I've been entertained by their mirror gazing. I have a mirror set up on the promenade where I take photos. But if I had a shekel for each time someone used that mirror, I'd be rich! Didn't realize how vain we Israelis can be. Its not the occassional mirror gaze. Its that "I am sexy and I know it" mirror vanity that has been cracking me up. My neighboring vendors and myself have gotten quite a few laughs as they stop and pose. If only I had a hidden camera behind that mirror! or a speaker ..."that color lipstick is not for you!" or "yes, your tatoo is still there, the sunburn didn't hide it" ....or how about..."PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!" can't wait to start that candid camera tv show in hebrew!

Last night after toting all my portable studio equiptment upstairs to my storage place, I drug my aching body across town to where I'd parked and fought the spring break traffic for a full 20 min. What normally takes 2 min took 20. While stuck in bumper to bumper, door to door, 4 lanes turned to 6 lanes traffic, I realized part of the hold up wasn't just congestion by volume but by a large scene in Tiberias' heaviest traffic area and busiest bus stop. The scene was the "unattended bag" call at the bus stop. An unattended bag here usually means a bomb. Not sure if this was the case but the robots were called in to detonate. As we slowly inched by, traffic came to a stop. There I sat, my son and myself, within meters of the unattended bag. The only thing in between us was a police van or two. Part of me was too tired to care, part of me wanted traffic to keep moving so I could get as far away as possible. A prayer or two later and we were within safe distance away. I began to think of the stress of the job the bomb sapper might have. Wondered if it would be my daughter's teacher's son who is a "sapper". Wondered how does that woman sleep at night?

Arriving home relieved to find my family all safe and sound, my oldest announces he thinks he'll join the SWAT team. Oh joy. Just when I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief. Then I remember the reason for the season... celebrating that our God is bigger than the Sea and nothing will be in His way of bringing His people home to His land. Remembering the miracles that took place before, and continue now.

Silly me, how vain to look in that mirror and think its all about me. We Israelis can be that way sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. I've been checking in over the last few weeks because I had hoped you might post again soon. Thank you!
    Our hearts are there with you. We are meeting people left and right who are feeling led to keep Shabbat and the Feasts. It's been an amazing year. Our Father in Heaven is definitely up to something beautiful and it's blossoming all around us.
    Our Hebrew vocabulary is growing daily. I'm beginning to be able to pick out written words that I already know by sound, but our older girls are far ahead of me and our six year old is reading Hebrew now better than English. LOL!
    Thank you for posting again, for the encouragement, for the video and small glimpse of Life in the Land. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom and thank you! :) Good to hear from you too! stay in touch (do you still have my email?) Kol Hakavod on the hebrew also!

    ReplyDelete