Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Army calls

Arena our nearly 17 yr old daughter, has received her army papers. Her interview/appointment/physical is set for mid November. She will enter the army within a year and a half. With this I have (and she has) mixed feelings. When we first arrived in Israel 4 and a half years ago, we assumed our daughters would not serve in the army. Now after some time here, we see that the young women serving brings on a sense of patriotism, and also benefits the country. Personally for Arena, as a new immigrant, this will help her feel more integrated into the country, and also help polish off her new found hebrew skills.

They have many options of doing things in a godly manner. From the way they dress to how/where they serve. The young ladies can opt to do community service, and serve at a hospital or school as a volunteer. They can request a desk job, or become a combat commander (this is something I don't approve of for many reasons), or become a social worker. Arena is toying with the idea of being an army driver. This would absorb the cost of us having to send her to driving lessons. Driving courses and tests and finally the license here to drive, can amount to over $1000!

Any young woman who is married is exempt from mandatory service. Young men are required a minimum of 3 years, and young women serve for two. But if she would become married, she can leave the army. If they decide to study first, the have to give additional time in the field they chose...for example, if they study medicine, they serve additional time, paid, to be involved as a medic in the IDF. Arena is considering photography or computer graphics. If she would chose to study first, she will likely be put in the Media Dept.


Whatever she decides, can change subject to the army's needs. My prayer is that she is in a safe environment spiritually, socially and physically. I also pray that she is close to home, and can return home often. She and I have always been close. As a baby, she was nursed three and a half years, and been by my side for 4 births, cutting the cords of her younger siblings and being my postpartum nurse. We have homeschooled her. She has been my personal secretary, my babysitter, my best friend. So this time now of her leaving the nest brings me both joy and pain.

3 comments:

  1. My prayers join with yours and those who love you!!!! Psalm 91!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad!!

    I feel for you - and I so wish I could be there to help take her place and help you out- but NOTHING is like having HER there with you.

    I love you!!!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete